Gas Safety Checks & Gas Servicing – Servicing for Gas Appliances in Barrow in Furness and the South Lakes by Gas Safe Registered Heating Engineers
Don’t get caught cold with a boiler, gas fire or gas appliance that is faulty, inefficient or unsafe. Our Gas Safe registered Plumbing & Heating team have the training, qualifications and expertise to ensure that your appliances are serviced to a high standard and keep your home warm and your family safe.
Your gas appliances should be serviced every 12 months to ensure they are working efficiently and safely, saving you money on your household bills and ensuring your home is safe from harmful fumes and gasses.
Our Gas Servicing will give you peace of mind that your gas appliances are safe and working to their optimum capacity, and with competitive prices Wardgroup’s Plumbing & Heating team are the first choice for Gas Servicing in Barrow in Furness, Dalton in Furness, Ulverston, Askam in Furness, Kirkby in Furness, Broughton in Furness, Grange over Sands, Coniston and all the surrounding towns and villages.
Call our Plumbing & Heating team on 01229 811222
Annual Boiler Servicing
The law requires that all servicing and gas safety checks are made by a Gas Safe registered engineer and an annual service can make all the difference in reliability, efficiency and household bills. If your boiler is still under warranty, having an annual service is a condition of the warranty.
What happens at an annual boiler service?
The engineer will remove the boiler casing to look at its components. They will check the boiler is working safely and efficiently. A good service includes checking:
Correct gas pressure and flow
Flue and combustion. A flue gas analyser will be used to make sure the boiler is burning the right mixture of gas and air.
Electrical connections are clean and in good condition
Fans and other key components are working efficiently
Seals are intact
Electrodes are in a good condition
Safety devices are checked
Condensate trap and pipe is not blocked
Water and gas pipework
Checking your pilot light
If you have an older boiler (SEDBUK Band G), you should regularly check its pilot light, a small naked flame inside the boiler that you can see through a small hole covered by glass.
Newer high efficiency boilers don’t need a pilot because they have electronic ignition. This is a much safer and energy efficient way to start your boiler, and more cost effective, because you are not burning gas you can’t use.
However, if you do have a pilot light, it should always burn with a bright, solid blue flame. This shows that the boiler is burning efficiently and correctly. If your pilot light burns with a yellow or orange wavy flame, the gas is not burning cleanly and this could be a sign of a carbon monoxide leak.
Boiler flues in ceiling spaces
If you live in a property that has a boiler flue which cannot be inspected because it is hidden behind a wall or ceiling, you need to install an inspection hatch.
As part of essential safety checks, gas engineers need to be able to see the flue that takes fumes away from the boiler. A flue in poor condition, combined with a boiler that is not working properly, could put you and your family in danger from carbon monoxide poisoning, which can cause death or serious injury.
If you have a boiler where the flue is completely or partly hidden, the owner of your property (whether yourself or a landlord) will need to arrange for inspection hatches or a carbon monoxide detection system to be fitted.
Carbon monoxide alarms should not be used an alternative to your Gas Safe registered engineer being able to see the flue and if you can’t see the flue, you will still need to have hatches or a detection system fitted as soon as possible.
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about flues in ceiling spaces, call 01229 811222
Carbon Monoxide (CO) Advice
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas produced by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels including gas, oil, wood and coal used in boilers, engines, oil burners, gas fires, water heaters, gas ovens, solid fuel appliances and open fires.
It can occur when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.
It is colourless, odourless and tasteless, so the best way to detect carbon monoxide is to fit a CO alarm.
Carbon monoxide poisoning
The most common symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, nausea and feeling tired or confused – in fact, very similar symptoms to those of flu.
However, if you find your symptoms improve or go away when you are away from home, and get worse when you return, and if everyone else in the home, including pets, has the same symptoms, you may be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning and should see your GP immediately.
In severe cases, it can quickly cause collapse and loss of consciousness, long term damage and even death. The Gas Safe Register website can provide comprehensive advice on what to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide alarms
For you and your family’s safety, it is advisable to fit a carbon monoxide alarm in each room in your home that has a gas appliance.
The Gas Safe Register recommends the use of an audible carbon monoxide alarm rather than one that just changes colour when carbon monoxide is present. It is important that it will alert you straight away or wake you up if you are asleep. The alarm should be marked with British Standard EN 50291, and a British or European approval mark such as the Kitemark.
Ensure your carbon monoxide alarm has a battery life of five years
Test your alarm weekly
Fitting a carbon monoxide alarm is not a substitute for having your appliances regularly serviced
Smoke alarms do not detect carbon monoxide
Don’t forget to take a portable audible carbon monoxide alarm on holiday with you. Protecting the family when away is often overlooked in the rush to pack the family suitcases